A Short History of Al. Neyer
1894: Al. Neyer begins when founder Gerard Joseph Neyer offers carpentry and construction services.
1918: Gerard and his son, Joseph Jr., operated the company as Joseph Neyer, Inc.
1920s – 1930s: Joseph’s son, Alphonse (shortened to Al.) joined them shortly after World War I. The company expanded into institutional construction and completed significant religious structures, including St. Gregory Seminary, St. Louis Church (downtown Cincinnati) and Adath Israel Synagogue.
1947: Al. incorporated the business as Al. Neyer, Inc. In the late 1940s, the company moved from the basement of the family’s Linwood Avenue home into an office and shop in Carthage.
1950s: Sons Ray and Don joined the company after graduation from Notre Dame and Xavier University, respectively, and military service in Korea. The company relocated to a larger location in Fairfax, on Red Bank Road. Ray and Don’s younger brother Tom joined in 1959 as the company continued to grow through the school, church and public project markets.
1963: Al. Neyer purchases a 20-acre industrial tract and pioneers the design-build method of project delivery, integrating several industry disciplines, offering a single-source project solution, and saving time and money. Don Neyer is a personal champion and early adopter of design-build.
1960s: Their first design-build project is yet another new and larger headquarters in Fairfax, quickly followed by a series of new design-built facilities for clients choosing this new solution to their needs. Al tapers back his involvement as his sons expand the company in this new direction and sells his interest in the company to his sons in 1970.
1970s – 1980s: Al. Neyer continues to acquire land and establishes a position of strength in industrial development, followed by office and retail. Al. Neyer boosts their design-build capabilities by adding licensed designers and architects to the company. The next generation of Neyer family members (eight) enter the business with various degrees in Engineering and Business Administration.
1990s: Al. Neyer continues to make substantial investments in land; and office and medical development become increasingly important to the business. Important projects include corporate headquarters for Cintas Corporation, Portion Pac, Hubert Company, Champion Windows, and the company’s own new headquarters at its Hawthorne Center development – in Blue Ash.
1991 – 1998: Ray, Don and Tom Neyer repeat the family’s successful pattern of leadership and ownership transitions, retiring and selling their interests to the next generation of Neyer’s.
2003: Bill, Jim and Dave Neyer continue their successful leadership of the company, acquiring the entire business.
2008: The Company adds other executive leadership talent to augment the family leadership.
2014: Al. Neyer transfers 100 percent of outstanding stock to the newly formed Al. Neyer Employee Stock Ownership Plan and Trust (ESOP), making the company 100 percent employee owned.
Today: 120 years after its founding, Al. Neyer’s longevity is a testament to the company’s stability and success. The company has earned a reputation for quality and integrity and a dedication to improving communities. Its mission continues – to create real estate solutions for communities that have a need for speed and high quality.